Episode 8 – Karen O’Brien
Yet again a very interesting and inspiring episode of the #21for21 podcast 🚀 🌏
Karen O’Brien talks with Marco and Carola about what matters, what is equatable and what is sustainable.
- 🎤 We are being challenged on all fronts today and it’s easy to think about what problem to prioritize, but from my perspective it is just one big problem: a relationship problem.
- 🎤 When we start to realize that ‘how we show up in the moment’ really matters, we can really start having a much bigger impact on the systems, the structures and the way we have organized society.
- 🎤 We talk a lot about agency, and when I think about that, I like to see ourselves as ‘fractals’: we are the systems, we are the collective, we are not separate.
- 🎤 Dear Future, I am Ready, to generate quantum social change…
Listen to the episode below 👇 🎧
About Karen O’Brien
Karen O’Brien is a Professor of Human Geography at the University of Oslo in Norway, and co-founder of c-CHANGE, a company committed to engaging people with equitable, ethical, and sustainable transformations in a changing climate.
Her goal is to contribute to a “quantum leap” to an equitable world where all life can thrive.
She has been thinking and writing about climate change for over 30 years. And now, in 2021, Karen was a co-recipient of the prestigious BBVA Foundation’s Frontiers of Knowledge Award for her contribution to climate change science.
Together with Robin Leichenko she has written, Climate and Society: Transforming the Future. Her newest book “You matter more than you think” is just out: be sure to look it up!
Links and more
- Karen’s forthcoming book “You Matter More Than You Think: Quantum Social Change for a Thriving World”: https://www.youmattermorethanyouthink.com/
- Robin Leichenko and Karen O’Brien’s book for undergraduate students “Climate and Society: Transforming the Future”: https://www.climateandsocietytransformingthefuture.org/
- Karen’s webpage at the Department of Human Geography, Faculty of Social Sciences, University of Oslo: https://www.sv.uio.no/iss/english/people/aca/karenob/index.html
- cCHANGE, the organization Karen co-founded to support transformation in a changing climate: https://cchange.no/
- Transformational Leadership for Sustainability, cCHANGE’s learning-in-action program that equips people working on climate change and sustainability challenges to generate and lead transformations: https://transformational-leadership.no/