Design Across Cultures – internship
Digital Society School
At the Digital Society School (DSS) we believe that everyone should benefit from the on-going digitisation of our society.
We are a growing multidisciplinary community that connects companies, business professionals, students, educators and researchers. Together we experiment with the latest technologies and the integration of technology in people’s lives, companies and our society. While empowering people by training them with the technical, social and creative skills needed, we positively affect business outcomes through innovation and at the same time shape a digital, inclusive and sustainable society.
We are looking for an enthusiastic intern to join our team! You’ll be working in the team of Design Across Cultures, and your main project will be the Global Goals Jam.
The Global Goals Jam is a global community of change makers where creative teams work together on local challenges related to the Global Goals, or Sustainable Development Goals. In the last weekend of September, just before Climate Week, the community comes together in cities all over the world host a Jam and use our tailored Global Goals Jam toolkit to create interventions aimed at short term targets in support of the long term goals.
We have been building this community since 2016, when we started the event in partnership United Nations Development Programme (UNDP). After 5 years, the community consists of an international network of universities, design companies, social innovation studios, but also co-working spaces, NGO’s and start-ups. Now, we are looking for a hands-on team player to support us in coordinating this worldwide community!
🧑💻 ⚒️ What you’ll be doing:
- Communicate with the global community on the planning and organisation of the main event in September
- Coordinate the Board of Stewards, our group of key partners from the community located in Japan, Germany, Italy, Somalia and Chile
- Organise events, meetups, and our annual Design Across Cultures Seminar for (and with) our international partner network, to exchange knowledge and best practices
- Support our team in developing and hosting a training for all local organisers on how to design with SDGs
- Revise and further develop the Global Goals Jam toolkit
- Support our team in collecting documentation, stories, and insights from the global community that we are making into an Impact Report of the past 5 years
- Develop a strategy for the launch of the Impact Report
- Closely work together with the university’s Green Office to support the Amsterdam jam in September
🔎 ✨ You:
- are a hands-on, getting things done type of person who is able to take initiative and bring refreshing ideas to the table;
- are strong communicator and coordinator; you get excited to manage a diversity of projects and you like to bring people together and connect them;
- have (or are interested to get) a basic knowledge of communication tools such as Mailchimp, WordPress, social media;
- are interested in topics related to sustainability and the SDGs;
- are a team player, you like meeting new people and working closely with others on a shared goal;
- are able to communicate in English with a diverse and international team;
- are ideally a media/communications/design student in a university of applied sciences (HBO level) or similar, but it’s not a must;
- believe in making the world a bit better for people ánd planet;
👩🎤 Nice to have (but not a must)
- affinity or expertise with Adobe Suite (mainly InDesign and Illustrator)
- knowledge of design methods and design thinking
- experience in working in an international context
- a network within sustainability or the creative industries (on an international or local level) – in any case, you’ll be sure to leave with a much bigger one after!
💎 What we offer:
- a 6 months* internship of 3 days a week, part of a diverse team of experts in the heart of Amsterdam;
- a €320,-/month internship stipend;
- learning opportunities to expand your skills set, mindset and go beyond your comfort zone. You’ll get access to all Digital Society School courses, trainings & workshops;
- coaching & mentorship from the Design Across Cultures team;
- (once regulations allow again) access to our fabulous office in the heart of Amsterdam @ Marineterrein (bring your swimsuit for summer!) AND to HvA campus facilities across the city;
- ⏰ starting date: per direct.*the internship is split into two periods, you will have the summer, between July and September, off
– Period 1: starting now until July 1st
– Period 2: September until Nov 1st (exact dates in consultation)
For questions about the internship work, you can reach out to:
Anneke van Woerden
For questions about the internship procedure, you can reach out to:
Programme Manager Design Across Cultures
🚀 Ready to start?
Send us your CV and a 1-page motivation letter at firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline: 22 March 2020